The School of Mechanical Engineering (SMEC) was established in the year 2017 at VIT Bhopal University and offers, undergraduate and research programmes in Mechanical and Aerospace engineering. The Mechanical Engineering faculty of SMEC specializes in Machine Design, Thermal & Fluid Sciences and Manufacturing Engineering. Some of the important laboratories for B. Tech Mechanical Engineering at VIT Bhopal University are Strength of Materials Laboratory, Materials Engineering and Technology Laboratory, Thermal Engineering Systems Laboratory, CAD/CAM Laboratory, Machining Processes and Metrology Laboratory, Manufacturing Processes Laboratory and Central Workshop.
About Mechanical Engineering
About Mechanical Engineering with specialization in AI and Robotics
B.Tech Mechanical Engineering with specialization in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics is a full-time undergraduate program of four years, which will help students extend in-depth and breadth the knowledge and skills in AI Robotics. The field of robotics has been experiencing a significant change from manufacturing applications to entertainment, home, rehabilitation, search and rescue, and service applications. The various subjects offered in this course follow a unified approach to professional practice through various core subjects in mechanical engineering, basic and advanced knowledge in Robotics and AI. The extensive enthusiasm of the current industry for improved efficiency and safety has led to a bigger need for skilled professionals in the vast field of ‘Robotics’.
The program is designed to enhance the technical knowledge of one or more fields of engineering. This course allows students to acquire knowledge on Mechanical Core, basic and advanced technology in robotics, and application towards the current industry and society. It also allows expanding knowledge boundaries into AI for the design, control, and management of robots. Robotics is intrinsically an interdisciplinary course that contains elements of mechanical engineering, electrical, and computer. So, the graduates with RAIL will learn the fundamental concept of kinematics, dynamics, microelectronics, intelligent control system.
Further, they can analyze advanced and disruptive technologies, making them capable of developing a new automated system to monitor, manipulate, and control systems. The student graduates with advanced skill sets and values, making them ready for achieving their professional goal in newly equipped automated industries. This degree provides a solid foundation in core mechanical engineering disciplines with additional knowledge and skills in mechatronics, control systems, communication, robotics, and AI.
With the initiative of Make in India, there is a good opportunity for AI and Robotics Engineers. It will support the students to make their career in various fields such as Pharmaceuticals, Manufacturing, Aviation, Automobile, Agriculture, etc. Work with software and core Mechanical Industries. Industry 4.0 demands various interdisciplinary engineers. The course provides a unique opportunity to broaden knowledge in another discipline through different subjects, giving an added advantage to students who seek career options in multidisciplinary areas.
- An interdisciplinary area where one can learn about AI an Emerging technology with the Robotics.
- Provides strong fundamentals of Mechanical, Mathematics, Programming, Communication and Instrumentation to enhance the knowledge in the area of future automation.
- Design and development of factories of future.
- Enhance understanding in robotics components and its applications.
- Real time developments of various robotic operations.
- Development of various automation systems based on artificial intelligence.
- Learn and enhance the problem-solving techniques such as path planning, programming of various robots with AI.
- Real time monitoring of Mechanical systems.
- Development of Smart Mechanical Systems.
AI and Robotics@VIT Bhopal
Understanding the programme a little better
The B.Tech programme in AI and Robotics at VIT Bhopal provides an updated course curriculum in the field of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics. The state of the art laboratory facilities at VIT Bhopal and the industry collaborations of the University provide a real world platform to the students to experience and learn the most recent tools and techniques being used in the Robotics industry today. Students can hone their skills in the following AI and Robotics specializations thereafter:
- Mechanics of solids
- Fluid Mechanics
- Heat Transfer
- Design of Machine Elements
- Manufacturing Processes
- Design of Machine Elements
- Mechanics of Machines
- Robotics and Automation
- Artificial Intelligence
- Machine Learning
- Flexible Manufacturing Systems
- CAD / CAM / CAE
- IoT for Mechanical System
- Machine Vision
- Instrumentation and Controls
- Smart Manufacturing
- Additive Manufacturing
- Material Science and Engineering
- Smart Materials and Structures
- Industrial Automation
- Robotic Languages
- Basic and advanced programming languages
- Advanced Machining Processes
- Machinery Condition Monitoring
The Realm of Robotics Industry
- With the initiative of Make in India, there is a good opportunity for the AI and Robotics Engineers.
- Will help the students to make their career in various fields such as Pharmaceuticals, Manufacturing, Aviation, Automobile, Agriculture etc.
- Work with software and core Mechanical Industries.
- Industry 4.0 demands the various interdisciplinary engineers.
Some of the jobs that give the students a niche include:
- Robotic Engineer
- Design Engineer
- Business Intelligence Developer
- Automations Solution Developer
- Robotics Scientist
- Data analytics
- Software Developer
- AI Research Scientist
- Machinery Condition Monitoring
“AI AND ROBOTICS: WHAT FUTURE HOLDS?”
The fourth industrial revolution commonly known as ‘Industry 4.0’ has led to the evolution of robotics, advanced automation machines, artificial intelligence, and IoT (Internet of Things). This is the era of ‘smart’ systems with hardware and software integration. Industry 4.0 demands various inter-disciplinary engineers. It has changed the face of traditional machines used for industrial purposes. Robots are the new machines. Artificial Intelligence is the tool to control robots. With more industrial revolutions to happen with time, the future of industries will mostly involve human and robot interaction alongside artificial intelligence to bridge the gap. With Industry 4.0 in demand, engineering has also gone inter-disciplinary. BTech Mechanical Engineering (specialization in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics) at VIT Bhopal University is a specially designed program to educate our students on the current and future industry demands.
Dr Shiv Manjaree Gopaliya
Program Chair (BTech ME with AI & R)
Assistant Professor (SMEC)
VIT Bhopal University